Saturday, January 8, 2011

Artichoke Gratinata

Artichoke hearts are a thing of beauty to me.  They are so incredibly delicious and hidden so well amidst all those protective layers; it is the closest we may come to finding that pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.  However, I love them so much that sometimes I don't want just one (heart, that is).  So last night I opted for an entire batch of them.  This recipe makes for a beautiful side dish - and it is rather painless.  I find them to be so satisfying though, that I was content to pair them with a green salad (topped with the ultimate vinaigrette of course!) and call that dinner.  I prefer frozen vegetables over canned ones, so I warmed these little hearts up in my saute pan along with garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.  After they browned slightly, I simmered them in chicken broth and a bit of Marsala wine.  This is when my kitchen began to smell amazing!  Not being that experienced in cooking with Marsala - after this dish, I will now look into it more.  The Marsala wine straight from the bottle makes me feel as if I am sipping Sunday communion.  But in cooking, it's pretty outstanding as a flavor agent. The recipe called for a topping: bread crumbs (I like using Panko), a bit of butter, and parmesan.  These are all delicious eats by my standards so I knew as I sprinkled this trio atop the gorgeous hearts that smelled so good that I was in for quite a treat.  The whole pan went straight into the oven for about 10 minutes to crisp and brown the topping and that's it.  There were no leftovers to speak of :)  Thanks Giada.

Make it again:  In my opinion, artichoke hearts far outshine peas and carrots as a starlet veggie you can serve to guests you have over.  This recipe will go into my rotation of items to serve to guests, no doubt.  And at the same time, I plan on enjoying them when it's just the two of us as well!

Improvements:  None to speak of at this point.  These were beauties all on their own.

Here's the recipe for you to try:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/artichoke-gratinata-recipe/index.html

2 comments:

  1. yum! I opened the Blog to get the ultimate dressing recipe and then saw this new post! Can't wait to try the artichoke hearts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are seriously the best....you can eat them as a meal all by themselves. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete