Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chicken Salad, My Way


Chicken Salad.  An American favorite that I am far too picky about.  Too much mayo and it's ruined for me.  The consistency truly has to be perfect - light and cool on hot summer day.  I love the crunch that celery brings, paired with freshly shredded or chopped chicken and just the right dressing. 

Here's what I whipped up the other night: Chopped chicken breast, diced celery, scallions, and cubes of ripe avocado.  Toss these together.  In a separate bowl I combine sour cream, Dijon mustard, cayenne pepper and a bit of salt until it was well blended.  Then I dressed the chicken mixture and had a lovely new twist on the typical chicken salad. 

The mayo-free aspect really made me happy.  For some reason, I cannot stomach the texture of mayo.  I much prefer sour cream and, in fact, believe it to be one of the top condiments of choice.  I love the how it cools a dish instantly and is matched well with a seasoning such as cayenne pepper.  The avocado added an extra creaminess that replaced the need for mayo entirely.  And a good Dijon mustard is an outstanding way to up the flavor of any dish - I am always amazed at how little mustard is needed to turn a straightforward dish into something with flair. 

And if you haven't tried this mustard yet, it's a must.  It could quite possibly be the most delicious mustard ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment