Monday, October 18, 2010

Baked Potatoes with Sauteed Spinach, Leeks & Sour Cream


This is my prized creation of the week.  Unbelievably delicious!  Here's what happened: I was feeling a little under the weather, a little chilled due to the rain and the admittance that fall is in fact here.  In my box, I found four Russet potatoes and began to get that reminiscent feeling of how comforting a baked potato can be.  But baked potatoes can be dry.  I am determined to banish my kitchen of dry tasting foods.  I peeked into my fridge and remembered that I had purchased my favorite condiment earlier in the week: sour cream.  I knew I couldn't use sour cream alone though; my baked potato would be delicious, but not that nutritious.  So I dug further into my box and came up with this: I would attempt an alternative spinach dip to top my potato.  I started by sauteing leeks, one of my very favorite fall vegetables.  As they began to brown, I washed a giant bunch of spinach and tossed it on top.  Spinach always amazes me - the amount you start with hardly compares to what you end up with.  Nevertheless, I wilted the spinach down, seasoned them both with s&p and brought them off the stove to cool.  When my potatoes finished baking, that is when the magic began.  I cut the steaming potato open and in a bowl I quickly whipped a couple tablespoons of sour cream with two heaping scoops of spinach and leeks.  It resembled spinach dip and I dolloped it straight into the potato.  Absolute heaven.  Creamy, delicious, nutritious and ......comforting. 

Make it again?  Ha ha...I had the remaining potatoes with topping for breakfast and dinner the next day.  Do I still need to say yes?  This goes straight to the top of my fall rotation.  

Improvements?  Possible addition of artichoke hearts into the saute mixture.  Any other leafy green could most likely be substituted for the spinach as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment