Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Bacon & Cabbage Salad


This salad happened on a day when I didn't know what to do with some fall cabbage I'd received.  I've read that bacon takes the edge off of some bitter greens - such as cabbage or brussel sprouts, so I decided I'd give it a shot.  I cooked the bacon first, then placed it on paper towels to crisp up.  I drained off 99% of the grease and left one little smidgen to saute the cabbage in.  I wilted the cabbage along with a white onion for about 15 minutes.  The recipes that I consulted to inspire this dish suggested the cabbage be cooked for an hour - but that was far too close to sauerkraut for me.  After just a quarter of an hour the cabbage still retained a little crunch.  I added a splash of white wine and reduced it for about five more minutes.  Out of the pan and onto a plate, the cabbage/onion blend received it a seasoning of s&p and its shower of bacon crumbles.  

Make it again?  Maybe, but it definitely needs some variation.  I realized after we munched on this afternoon salad that I am actually not a huge fan of cooked cabbage.  

Improvements?  Yes, to the cabbage.  I think just shredding it and dressing it will do the job.  Leaving the cabbage raw and only sauteing the onions might be the way to go.  The bacon could also be whisked into the dressing and warmed for a perfect finishing touch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment