Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Herbs de Provence, Turnips & Potatoes


Williams-Sonoma released some amazing spice and salt blends this season.  The first one I picked up to try was their Herbs de Provence Sea Salt.  Just opening the jar releases this powerful, earthy scent.  The rosemary hits your nose first and you can imagine how woodsy and delicious your meal is going to be once it is sprinkled with this goodness.  When my veggie box arrived this week, I quickly searched for a palette to host these spices.  Turnips and potatoes became my canvas.  After cleaning and cubing them, I scattered them onto a baking sheet.  A good olive oil, my new seasoning, and a high roasting temperature all came into play.  After a solid roasting period (about 40 minutes), they came out beautifully caramelized and smelling heavenly.  

Make them again?  Roasted paired with this seasoning produces the ultimate in comfort for the fall season.  I discovered a bonus in adding the turnips, where I usually just roast potatoes.  Turnips are slightly sweet and they added a subtle tang to this dish that I really liked.  

Improvements?  I am excited to make this same dish again soon - and see if there are additional root vegetables I can add to the mix.  Roasting brings out the flavor of root vegetables so well ;)  And who knows?  I may have to make a trip back to good 'ol WS to try another one of their seasoning blends.....

No comments:

Post a Comment