Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fresh Pineapple Sorbet



In Season Ingredients: Fresh Pineapple, Simple Syrup.
Despite my quest for healthy eating, I often find myself craving something sweet at the end of a meal..... and at the end of a long, hard day.  In addition, not long after I turn the lights out for bed, a rummaging of the kitchen cupboards can be heard as my husband searches for a late night treat.  We've tried a lot of different sweets, but not many things that contain sugar are also friendly to our waistlines.  One thing my husband and I do love is fruit.  So I decided that fruit, in any form, should become our treat.  My husband is a lover of all things citrus, so on this day I took some fresh, sweet pineapple and dropped it in the food processor.  After a minute or so it turned a gorgeous, frothy, pale yellow color.  I paused the food processor long enough to add a dash of simple syrup and then gave it another minute of smoothing.  My husband wanted to drink it right then and there as a pineapple soup :)  But after a taste I hid it away in the freezer for a few hours and after dinner that night we both enjoyed some homemade pineapple sorbet.  I can't wait to try more fruits this way.....

Make it again? Yes, yes, yes!  The pineapple sorbet was a homerun!  It took about five minutes to prepare before freezing and I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out completely delicious without the aid of an ice cream maker.  I also liked the fact that I was able to control the ingredients and the amount of sugar that was added to our desserts.  Lastly, grocery stores charge a pretty penny for sorbet, but using fresh fruit that is in season (or frozen fruit, which works great too) is a cost effective way to prepare a treat that satisfies.

Improvements: Only to the spectrum of fruits that can be enjoyed this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment