Saturday, October 23, 2010

Just for Fun....Infused Chocolate Tasting


I love samples at the grocery store.  One of my favorite things about heading to purchase my groceries is wondering what will be on display for a little taste.  These tiny chocolate bars caught my eye as I wandered the aisles of Whole Foods before my family dinner tonight.  So for dessert tonight, I decided I would bring the concept of sampling to the dinner table.  Each bar had distinct flavorings: an Asian flair from wasabi, ginger and black sesame seeds; an Indian style with curry and coconut flakes; Mexican ancho chiles, chipotle and cinnamon in the third; and well, bacon with salt (does that qualify as American?).  In our tasting we discovered delicious chocolate at the forefront with the infusions coming through in the aftertaste, lingering in our mouths. On a hunch we saved the bacon bar for last and we were justly rewarded.  It was salty, smoky, and oh so savory.  A perfect ending to our meal.

Do it again?  Oh yes, it was tons of fun to be surprised by these creative flavor pairings.  I'm going to search for more infused chocolate bars for next time I'm out....

Improvements? Perhaps having an after dinner wine to compliment the chocolates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment