Saturday, October 23, 2010

Kale Chips


Kale is a vegetable that is new to me in the kitchen.  I hadn't ever handled it before it started arriving in my box this fall.  At this point, we are at odds.  I am not sure of my feeling for kale.  It is incredibly dense and tough.  And the taste is so unique, it's not quite like any other green.  In the few times I have consumed kale, the word 'grazing' comes to mind.  Anyways, tonight I made kale chips.  Kale chips have been popping up literally EVERYWHERE I turn.  So after seeing them in countless magazines and cooking shows, I started to think I was in for a real treat.  I spread my washed kale onto baking sheets in a single layer, massaged each leaf with olive oil, sprinklde s&p and got them into the oven.  After a quick twenty minutes at 375 degrees they were ready.  What came out? Well, a crisp leaf to be exact.  The noise made as I crunched into my first kale chip was...... well......loud.  Crispy, but still a little chewy and tough.  Then I looked in the mirror.  Super sexy teeth.  I'm not even sure if I digested any or if it all just stuck in my teeth.  Definitely not a romantic, date night food.  And yet, they were strangely addicting.  Despite all the cons listed above, I found myself reaching for another.  And another.

Make them again?  Like I said, I'm not quite sure.  Kale is in season right now so I am pretty sure it will arrive on my doorstep again soon.  The kale chips were quick and easy to prepare, but I may search for another way to tackle this tough guy.  

Improvements? Using less olive oil.  To achieve the 'chip' in kale chips, use the oil sparingly and rub the teeny bit used all over the entire leaf.  Too much oil in one part of the leaf resulted in a soggy chip :(

No comments:

Post a Comment