Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Roasted Green Beans


The more vegetables I roast, the more I love roasting!  I have always steamed, blanched, or sauteed green beans, but I was curious about how they would turn out after spending some quality time in my oven.  I feel as though I am unlocking the secret behind eating vegetables:  steaming or blanching often results in limp, bitter eats.  No wonder we aren't devouring them.  Roasting makes everything better.  A quick rinse, a toss in olive oil, s&p and into the oven.  These didn't take long either - just about 25 minutes and they were browned and sizzling.  I wouldn't go so far to say this brought out a sweetness in them, but they definitely became more savory.  I sat down with a platter of them and a half hour sitcom, and when 30 minutes had gone by they were gone as well!

Make them again?  Roasting is now my choice method for taking on these haricot vert.

Improvements? Perhaps more seasoning, in additional to s&p.  Or maybe drizzle a melted garlic sauce on them when they come out of the oven.  Although I must say, I am a huge fan of the beautiful simplicity that olive oil, s&p can achieve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment